Friday, October 2, 2026

Bern and Thun, Switzerland

I had planned to travel with a friend to Thun as the last destination on my Swiss travel card before I left back for the UK. Purely on impulse, we stopped at Bern on the way to explore the city, which was very quiet on a Sunday. It's pretty and every inch looks historic, and it's big like Manchester but clean. We stopped to check out the parliament building (?), a view of the river from an observation deck, Einstein's house and the minster from the outside, the bridge, the old town city centre and the Zytglogge all on the way to the Bear Park. It was fascinating to just see two big brown bears hanging around in the shrubbery in the middle of a big city, though their environment had been created nicely for them by the riverbank. 

Thun was even more beautiful, though the aesthetics are different. We got off at a minimal train station that had the clearest, fullest view of the snow-capped glaciers I had seen so far. We crossed the river, saw the surfers at the dam and had pizza on the riverbank while looking at the swans, ducks and big fish visible in the clean turquoise water. We climbed an exhausting number of steps up to Thun Castle, too, and more steps inside the castle, but the views were absolutely worth the effort.

Bern

Thun

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bern and Thun, Switzerland

I had planned to travel with a friend to Thun as the last destination on my Swiss travel card before I left back for the UK. Purely on impul...